Thursday 10 October 2013

Zentangle: Process or Product?

90% of the time, the art of Zentangle is about the process....at least for me.


In other words, it's about putting pen to paper, losing myself in the moment, and while certainly wanting to create a beautiful product, it is the activity itself, the ability to let go of everything and to just be mindful that I truly get the most joy from. It also means that the end product doesn't need to be perfect, that I truly try to let go of that end result, too.

When I started learning about Zentangle, my big drawing accomplishment was being able to draw flowers (loopy grade 3 ones) and stick people. My drawing aptitude likely stopped in about grade 3. Art, when I was going to school wasn't really drawing classes. And, that's fine, but it does leave you with a sense of being 'art challenged'

What I love about Zentangle is that it makes art accessible to so many of us who thought we'd never be able to draw, and in that accessibility it allows us to find that inner creativity that was dying to get out...we just didn't know how to express it.

I issue a challenge to all of you emerging artists!

LET GO!

We live in a world that judges, that labels and that determines something is better that something else. We also judge ourselves quickly and easily. Those voices in our heads that say we are too this and too that...or that say we need to do this or that better, you know those voices.

It is also easy when practicing the art of Zentangle to find ourselves intimidated by the amazing creations of others. There are some incredible artists out there.

What's interesting, though, is that I've noticed that those talented people also ooh and ahh at the work of others, too. It's so easy for us all to look at someone else's creations and think ours shoulda, coulda, woulda been better...if... And that the other work we are seeing is 'better.' But, those gifted artists are saying that too.

What if you challenge yourself to be kinder to yourself, to LET GO of your judgments? To LET GO of your labels and comparisons?

Treasure your personal creativity, learn from it, grow with it and love what you bring to this world. Only you are able to make those creations!


Learn from other's beautiful work, but LET GO of your desire to disparage yours in the process of admiring theirs.

LET GO!

And, LOVE your amazing creativity!!! Recognize the wonderful process that you are in! Admire the beauty that comes from your pen!


17 comments:

  1. BINGO!
    Love the 'products' you've shown here too, espicially the white on black one. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret! So nice to have you comment. You are one of those gifted artists whose work made me feel intimidated! However, you, yourself, do not intimidate and it was in a class you taught that I began to clearly see process vs product more clearly!!

      Delete
  2. Well said, and my feelings exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Wow, that felt like it was directed at, and written for me! I am so intimidated and humbled by the amazing work I see all around me(in the world of Zentangle, specifically) and I really needed to read your post today. I am headed to RI (from BC!) this weekend, and am excited as to what I will learn there. Happy to discover your blog, thanks to Margaret Bremner for sharing on FB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, enjoy the training!!!! So glad that the post 'spoke' to you. I've been thinking about writing it for awhile. Glad that it was what you 'needed.' I know I need to keep reminding myself to LET GO!!!

      Delete
    2. Anna, I'm on my way there this weekend, too. This post was so timely for me. I've been very nervous that my work wouldn't measure up. Thanks to Lisa for the encouraging post...
      Sara in Wisconsin

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Laura!! Actually entering the Diva Challenge has been a big step in the LET GO process!!!

      Delete
  5. Well put Lisa. Generalizes so well to so many other things that we cannot enjoy things because we get so worried about what others think. It is one the things I also like about Zentangle having before seen myself as artisically challenged. Strangely enough I was not as intimidated by this and took to the Diva Challenge and Zendala Dare as a learning experience. They do make me try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Donald!! And you do create lovely work, too!!!!

      Delete
  6. perfect, beautiful, amazing post!
    Truth, truth, truth!!!l

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent article, very true and timely!! It's a life long process, enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said. So many say "I wish I could do 'XYZ' like you do. I say why don't you do 'XYZ' they way you do it because yours is you the way mine is me? No two are the same and as a matter of fact I bet you couldn't reproduce one of your own drawings exactly if you tried. So let it all go and enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete